I have been a Seattle Seahawks fan since 1976, the year that the team came into being. I was 8 years old; I knew next to nothing about sports, but I loved the city of Seattle because it rained all the time there (as opposed to where I lived, in Riverside, CA). Even though I never left California or moved up to Cascadia, I have been an ardent Seahawks supporter throughout the team’s nearly 40-year history. Yes, most of those years were miserable , but that’s the way of following a team: you endure the bad times so that the good times will be all the sweeter.
So this week is one of those good times: the Seahawks are playing in the Super Bowl! Like all the other Seahawks fans, I’ll be watching and cheering on the team on Sunday. Granted, I’ll be on pins and needles through the whole game hoping beyond hope that all goes well; to be quite honest, I’ll really be rooting for a rout (in the Seahawks’ favor, of course).
So I don’t want to analyze the game or the match ups. I don’t want to strategize about what Seattle needs to do to beat Peyton Manning and the Broncos. I don’t want to do anything that takes me away from being a stupid fan and cheering on my team to victory. So I’ll just stop here and say:
Top 10 Things I Believe (in no particular order)
- Hockey players are the best athletes in the world because they have to be fast, strong, tough, nimble, dexterous, and fearless–all while on ice with tiny slivers of metal beneath their feet to keep them upright.
- Pye Corner Audio should be the most popular music in the world. Joanna Newsom second.
- The new Star Trek movie was TERRIBLE–one of the worst things I’ve seen in years.
- All glory to the Hypno-Toad and the Noisering
- Joanna Newsom should rule the world
- Everyone should read Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy–and then read the other 15-30 books set in the same universe.
- Socialism is awesome
- My wife is awesome
- Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One is fantastic and you need to read it now now now
- Jane McGonigal is right–reality IS broken
Top 3 Things I Don’t Believe
- Doctor Who just keeps getting better and better
- I need to spend more money on modular synths
- I really enjoy 4 straight months of 110 degree weather.
- 1,000 years from now, no one will remember me or you or Mitt Romney, but everyone will remember Neil Armstrong. RIP
- Can we just vote now so we don’t have to live through the next three months?
- Box Springs album The Signature Project: Volume One is now available for no charge at Bandcamp. Check it out now. http://goo.gl/1nQ9c
- Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha http://j.mp/NVbzTB
- Caroline is sleepy http://instagr.am/p/KHFdmqHWVQ/
- It’s rare that music can make someone wish for blindness #Madonna #Superbowl
- No hitter for Jered Weaver! Awesome!
- If I could ask a question at the Pres debates, it would be: “Gov Romney, do you believe the garden of eden is in Missouri?”
- Fabulous job, #USMNT Tim Howard was on fire, and the defense was fantastic. Revenge for Gold Cup loss. Sweet!
- The cool Brazilian soccer players have TWO names.
- I’d enjoy #thevoice more if the celebrity judges were Tom Waits, Bjork, Thom Yorke, and Marcel Marceau
- I’m going to stop complaining about my sore left knee now… amazing http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/09/london-2012-usa-relay-broken-leg …
- Are there any fat vegans?
For more (good and bad), visit @hauntedink